Wednesday, August 05, 2020

My name made it to the NY Times Square bill-boards

Quite a lot of Hindu names given to the newborn are usually the names of the family Gods. There are plenty of Gods in India, perhaps more than iPV6 addresses.

Well, my name is Jayaram Krishnaswamy. It is actually a combo of two very famous Indian Gods, God Rama and God Krishna. Like all parents, my parents wanted the best name. Their aspiration was that I would live up to the name(s). Actually, it is not easy with a combo like this. Rama had only one wife and Krishna is known for having multiples.

Having names of Gods does not work most of the time. We depart from the originals and become so different, it is no more a meaningful concept.

Why I am telling all this, is because my name (God whose name I take) has made it to the NYTimes square bill-boards. Is it something I should be proud of? I do not know. Surely, a huge amount of advertising fee was spent. Five years ago why?, even a year ago, I could not have imagined in my wildest dreams (normal for me) to relate our God Rama with anything to do with NY Times Square billboard. This makes me feel that I am out of touch with reality. India has progressed so much, from the time I left its shores, it is truly amazing.



Even so, it tickles me.

Read the complete article in the link and it has irked many because of its controversial nature. If Muslims do not like it, they are free to protest as they have done. After all, we live in a free country. Previously, in antiquity the Muslims invaders used to destroy what did not agree with their religion, fortunately, in modern times they can only protest.

It has also irked people who are against religion and Gods. God is just a construct and with the instruction set in your arsenal, you give a name to your God.


No comments:

DMCA.com Protection Status