Friday, July 27, 2018

Beware! C# template files may missing in Visual Studio Community 2017

Recently installed Visual Studio Community 2017 with the following details:

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017 
Version 15.7.5
VisualStudio.15.Release/15.7.5+27703.2042
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.7.03062 

I tried to run a previously well designed project by loading the project and failed. I noticed a number of errors such as these:

The UI elements can still be seen in the XAML view in the MainPage.xaml and the same elements in the MainPage.xaml.cs are getting to be unrecognized by red wiggly (does not exist in the current context). some fifty errors CS0103 error

Also the CS1061 error that the MainPage does not contain a definition for 'initialize Component' accepting first argument of type 'MainPage' could be found.

I could not fathom the reason and spent about 6 hours.

Then I resorted to recreate the app from scratch by creating a new C# project and noticed that the C# language related templates were missing. I am not sue if my errors are related to the missing templates!


I tried to reinstall Visual Studio from within the IDE, but I had really installed all the necessary items.



I believe the Visual Studio 15.7.5 I installed does not have the templates.

Looks like this is by design. You can choose C# as the language for the templates as described here:

No comments:

DMCA.com Protection Status