Saturday, September 25, 2021

Installing Android Studio on Windows 10 (x64)

 Android apps are becoming very popular. How do you build one on a Windows 10 computer/laptop? I am used to developing Windows Mobile (Microsoft gave up on this) using Visual Studio of various versions, but I wanted to try an Android app.

It is easy to get a link (Download Android Studio and SDK tools  |  Android Developers) to the download page for the latest version of Windows (x64). 



The problem was, after downloading the executable and running it was hampered by the Ransomeware protection of Windows 10.

I finally resolved it, as shown here.

Installing Android Studio

Here are some screenshots of the install process:






Hello, Arctic Fox, be good to me!

Setting up the development environment

Android studio setup is driven by a wizard and is very easy. Just follow the screenshots. It shows the variety of devices you can develop the apps.


Just click next or finish as the case may be.

Android starts other components needed for development as shown.


Well, there was a hiccup here.


I think this is needed for emulation and probably the problem is related to installing anything past the 'Ransomware' wall that Microsoft has constructed around the OS.

I did check all the requirements for HAXM installation. Not one less requirement but could not install.

Here are the details of my computer I checked.


I followed these instructions found on the Internet to manually install HAXM:

Downloading Manually Intel HAXM

  1. Go to http://software.intel.com/en-us/android.
  2. Choose the Intel HAXM installer package for your platform.
  3. Extract the installer and follow installation instructions for your platform.

The installed screen is as shown:


Again, I faced the same problem of installing. I would have succeeded had I tried, but I read that HAXM is not absolutely necessary for developing app or testing. I have a number of Android devices to run tests.

Maybe, I will come back and try to install HAXM. Right now I am eager to build and test.

Adios!



No comments:

DMCA.com Protection Status