Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Workaround to fix the C++ Windows Console application template loading error

In a previous post I described an error wherein the C++ Windows Console Application failed to load.

 Visual Studio Community 2017 also failed to open a previous C++ Windows Console Application project (created two days earlier). There was no problem with C# programs.

Well, the reason could be the Windows 10 OS Update on 4/4/2018.  I believe some of the other people also place the blame on the Update.

There were two suggestions from the Microsoft MSDN forum, one of which suggested upgrading to a recent version and the other to repair the present installation.

I decided to try yet another way, to modify by removing DESKTOP Development with C++ related items and then , add the Desktop items after verifying whether the Modification did anything at all to the VS Community 2017.

To my surprise, although I removed the desktop item in the installer screen, I could still create a C++ Windows Console application without getting the previously documented error.

Am I happy, yes I can proceed with what I want to do. But I am a bit disheartned that the removal did not remove the items from the New Project window after modification.

Here are the installer options:


The check box for DeskTop Development with C++ (about 512MB) was unchecked and the Modify button was clicked.

You need to close any running programs:



You may need to close running programs.


After modification, the VS 2017 Community  is launched.

I was expecting not to find Windows Console Application under C++ templates, but I was surprise to find that the template was still available.


Just to be sure, I invoked the installer one more time and tried the modify option. I found that the Desktop Development with C++ was unchecked.






No comments:

DMCA.com Protection Status