How many editions of Windows 10 will be available?
There are 7 editions and counting.
1. Windows 10 Home:The most popular edition is Windows 10 Home, for PCs, tables and 2-in-1s.
Features in Home:
- Cortana -the unflappable and courteous digital assistant
- Microsoft Edge Browser
- Continuum tablet mode for touch-capable devices
- Windows Hello -face recognition iris and finger-print login
- A bunch of out of the box universal Windows apps such as Photos, Maps, Mail, Calendar, video etc.
- X-Box games from any Windows 10 PC at home.
2. Windows 10 Mobile:For smaller, mobile and touch-capable devices like smart phones and small tablets.
Target: Consumer Mobile users
- Universal Windows apps
- Touch-optimized Office version
- Continuum for Phone - Use a larger screen and convert a phone to a PC
For PCs, tablets and 2-in-onebuilt upon Windows 10 Home
Target: Choose Your Own Device (CYOD) Programs
- Optimized for Small businesses
- Manage devices and apps efficiently and protect sensitive business data
- Support Remote and mobile apps taking advantage of cloud technology
- Allows taking advantage of Windows Update for Business helping management cost savings.
The following is quoted from the blog :
"As we announced earlier this year, for the first time ever, we are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch.** Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device”
This is great but it is not coming to my Nokia Icon anytime soon.4. Windows 10 Enterprise:
For PCs, tablets and 2-in-one built upon Windows 10 Pro.
Target: Medium and large-sized organizations.
- Focused on security of devices, identities and applications
- Broadest range of deployment capabilities and comprehensive device management capabilities.
- Windows Update for Business
- Long term servicing branch deployment option
5. Windows 10 Education:Target: Educational needs
Built on Windows 10 Enterprise for needs of schools and all educational stake holders-administrators, teachers & students through academic volume licensing. There will be paths for students with Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 pro to upgrade to Windows 10 Education.6. Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise:
Target: Business users on mobile devices
For business customers on smart tablets and smart phones. Available for volume licensing customers.
- Incorporates latest security and innovation features when they are available.
Versions of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise with Windows 10 IOT Core for small foot-print, low-cost devices like gateways.
Target industry devices like ATMs, retail POS (Point of Sale), handheld terminals and industrial robots.More importantly Windows 10 will be delivered as a service and there will be ongoing innovation and security updates.
The 3.9 million Windows Insiders have helped bring a great product to the table.