Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Nokia Icon and Motion Data

In order to run the Bing / MSN Health and Fitness app you need the following:
GPS
Accelerometer

Icon seems to have the GPS and if one believes the specifications released by Microsoft (see next link) it should have the accelerometer as well. In fact ICON is supposed to have the following sensors:
Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, SensorCore.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia-icon/specifications/

Although it has the required hardware, only the feature dependent on GPS works and the one related to accelerometer does not. You get an error that SenseNotPresent, etc.

Here is a response from Microsoft Windows Site when I used my authentication (linked to my Nokia Icon Phone) to find out if I could download Motion Data needed for step counting in the app .



This gives me the feeling that unless, Lumia Cyan or Lumia Denim is applied the Phone cannot use the Bing/MSN Health and Fitnes app.

The GPS based tracking works well. Here is my 2.4 mile route that I do most days of the week.


 

No comments:

DMCA.com Protection Status