Monday, July 06, 2009

This is unfair, I cannot downgrade Vista

I recently purchased a notebook computer that came with Vista Home Premium. It is not as useful to me as I wanted it to be, since I cannot install Visual Studio 2010 which requires a VPC installation. Vista Home Premium does not support VPC. It is also lacking in many other features (Group Policy Editor for example).


Well Windows XP does support VPC and so I reasoned why not downgrade to Windows XP Professional. Well it turns out the downgrade is not available for Vista Home Premium. This is unfair as till recently most laptops shipped with the Windows Media Center edition which is a Windows XP Professional. This is clearly unfair of Microsoft in not supporting downgrading Vista (any edition). Looks like I need to shell out another $200 to upgrade to a non-home Vista.  Vista  home is probably good for home entertainment and not for developers.

Downgrading Vista

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Greetings Jay,

It's Diane from the kitchen in Trenton. I was telling someone about the extraordinary battery life on your new laptop but couldn't remember the model. Will you give me the make and model #?

Thanks,
Diane

Unknown said...

Greetings Jay,

It's Diane from the kitchen in Trenton. I was telling someone about the extraordinary battery life on your new laptop but couldn't remember the model. Will you give me the make and model #?

Thanks,
Diane

DMCA.com Protection Status