Sunday, January 04, 2009

Does the Report Model in SQL Server 2008 changes automatically when the underlying database table gets changed?

The answer is yes.

How can you test this?

This is how I tested. I created a report model based on the Northwind database. I went ahead and added a new row to the Shippers table (which can be just updated in the Management Studio). I opened up the model in Visual Studio 2008 and looked at the table data. The Load Model Data window showed up briefly and the new changes were displayed.

Original Shippers table:










After updating the table in SQL Server database:













Details about the report model and generating Ad-hoc reports using report builder are available in my soon to be released book:

"Learn SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services"

to be published by PacktPub.com.
Initial information at:
http://www.packtpub.com/learning-sql-server-2008-reporting-services/book

No comments:

DMCA.com Protection Status